It is an uncertain time and with so much information and communication coming at us from all directions, there is a lot to sift through, especially as parents and educators.
Let's face it, as parents we are thinking "How am I going to entertain my kids at home for THREE WHOLE WEEKS!?"We know that with this uncertainty our fear and worry grows amidst the recent events and news surrounding the virus - and we want you to know that we’ve got you!
Here are some fun, active and mindful activities you can do at home with your kids:
Get moving with Cosmic Kids!
More than a million kids do yoga, mindfulness and relaxation with Jaime on the Cosmic Kids YouTube Channel. Parents and teachers report significant improvements in self-regulation, focus and empathy. But the videos are BRILLIANT FUN so kids love doing them!
You can choose from calming, active or peaceful yoga and guided meditations for little ones during this stressful time.
Calming Activities to Ease Anxiety:
These are uncertain times, and anxiety can be at an all time high. The next time yourself or your child is feeling anxious try this breathing technique:
1. Have your child choose a stuffed animal.
2. Lie down and have them place their animal on their tummy, with their arms by their sides.
3. Instruct them to breathe normally and watch their animal ride up and down on their tummy.
4.Count as they breathe to ensure they are focused on their breath
5. Continue for as long as they like!
1. Have your child sit in a comfortable position with their back straight.
2. Instruct them to imagine they are holding a bubble wand.
3. Instruct them to breathe in deeply, imaging their bellies are filling up with air like a balloon. Then breathe out as if they are blowing a bubble through the wand.
4. Instruct them to breathe in again and notice a worry in their minds.
5. Instruct them to breathe out and blow their worry through the bubble wand. Imagine it forming into a bubble.
6. Imagine that the bubble pops and disappears. How wonderful!
7. Repeat until all of their worries are blown away.
Practice Gratitude to stay Positive!
A great way to ease anxiety during these times is to practice gratitude. Gratitude for what we do have! Why not create a Gratitude Jar? Your child can place the gratitude sentiments in the jar and read them all at the end of each day or week. They can be as simple as "I saw a beautiful dog today!" or "I saw a rainbow!"
To learn how to create this beautiful jar head over to the following link.
Read Positive Stories
Bob Marley's songs are known the world over for their powerful message of love, peace, and harmony. This upbeat story reminds children that the sun will always come out after the rain and mistakes are easily forgiven with a hug. Every family will relate to this universal story of one boy who won't let anything get him down, as long as he has the help of three very special little birds. Including all the lyrics of the original song plus new verses, this cheerful book will bring a smile to faces of all ages—because every little thing's gonna be all right!
Love & light to you all!